Charlotte Fresh keeps a list of “not-to-be-missed” local events based on buzz she hears from her farmer friends and all around town. In fact, one of my favorite recent events was the very successful 2nd annual Know Your Farms tour. I’ll post about it once I sort through all the pics, and you can start planning your visit for next year.
In the meantime, here are a few other events to plan for in the coming weeks. Check out my Special Events tab for a frequently updated list. The Grateful Growers Farm dinner on Oct. 16 is expected to be fantastic as usual, and my friend Maria Fisher is highly involved in orchestrating the “Wisdom, Inspiration & Magic of Mothers” dinner on Oct. 30, so you know that will also be very special. If you haven’t experienced the delight of a fresh farm-to-table meal, please do yourself a favor and attend one of these remarkable events.
- Tuesday, September 28, 2010 – Matthews Community Farmers’ Market 4th Annual “Upscale” Fundraising Barbecue, 5:00pm-7:00pm. Featuring award-winning Pit Master Alex Ranucci’s barbecued pastured pork from Grateful Growers Farm, delicious sides, breads and desserts. Live music. Tickets are $12 each, on sale now at the market’s Community House and Renfrow’s Hardware. Advance purchase only. Profits from this event go to benefit the farmers’ market, helping pay for market improvements and operating costs.
- Saturday, October 2, 2010 – Brushy Mountain Apple Festival – Downtown North Wilkesboro. 8:00am-5:00pm. Pre-festival activities on Friday beginning at 6:00pm with the “Apple Jam.” FREE. See website for details.
- Saturday, October 16, 2010 – 3rd Annual Celebrate the Market Community Picnic, Davidson Farmer’s Market, 12:30pm. Come celebrate a successful market season and the joys of eating locally grown foods. DFM supplies the fabulous grilled meats from local farms and the drinks, you bring a side dish (last name A-P) or dessert (Q-Z). Local ingredients encouraged. Please RSVP at the DFM Booth or to email@example.com.
- Saturday, October 16, 2010 – Grateful Growers Farm 4th annual On-farm Dinner, 4:00-9:00 pm. An incredible evening of local food and a silent auction to benefit Friendship Trays. Tickets on sale now – see website for details and to make a reservation.
- Saturday, October 30, 2010 – 2nd Annual Farm-to-Table Dinner – Come celebrate the “Wisdom, Inspiration & Magic of Mothers.” Held at Honey Mountain Farm, 335 McNeely Road, Mt. Ulla, NC 28125. 6:00-11:00pm. Hors d’oeuvres, six course dinner, silent auction, poetry and music. Donation/Tickets: $65 per person. All proceeds benefit Friendship Trays. RSVP: 704-650-3606 or 704-239-5255.