To prepare for your Thanksgiving meal, do like Charlotte Fresh and hubby will – hit the local farm stands and farmers’ markets for the freshest ingredients. Listed below are a few special markets to visit this week. If you don’t want to cook, don’t forget that Harvest Moon Grille restaurant has available seatings.
Let’s give a hearty thanks to all the farmers, producers, market managers, chefs, volunteers and others who make “going local” possible for us every day. Please also have room in your hearts this season for those who are less fortunate.
Charlotte Fresh and hubby wish you and yours a very wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. My humble thanks to all my readers for their continued support!
- Saturday, November 20, 2010 – Common Grounds Farm Stand Cornucopia Sale from 9:00am to 2:00pm – huge sale event with gift items and a large collection of frozen goods for the holidays. Delicious casseroles, soups/stews, baked goods, holiday gift baskets and more. Don’t miss it! All proceeds benefit the Urban Ministry Center.
- Saturday, November 20, 2010 – Davidson Farmers’ Market Thanksgiving market. 9:00am-12:00pm. For your Harvest meal, choose from what’s bountiful, fresh and local!
- Tuesday, November 23, 2010 – Matthews Community Farmers’ Market Thanksgiving market. 4:00-6:00pm. Customers who have already pre-ordered fresh turkeys from New Town Farms or Carlea Farms can pick them up at a special “Turkey Station” in the middle of the market. Farmers will have plenty of seasonal produce, free-range chicken eggs and meats so you can buy the freshest fixin’s for your holiday dinner. Bakers will have a selection of pies, desserts and breads as well as bread cubes for stuffing. Also available will be fresh flowers and beeswax candles for your table, chocolate truffles, specialty soaps, handmade pottery and more.
- Open year-round on Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday – Atherton Market offers a mix of farmers and other retailers for your fresh Thanksgiving items. Customers who have already pre-ordered turkeys from Windy Hill Farm can pick them up at the market on Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Open year-round – Hillbilly Produce Market always has fresh, local produce and meats available. They now also carry The Secret Chocolatier’s products!
- Open year-round – The Charlotte Regional Farmers’ Market has local produce, meats and baked goods available. There are some non-local vendors here, so ask questions and/or look for the “Local Farmer/Local Food” signs to ensure that what you buy is indeed locally grown, raised or produced.