Hi, everyone! Charlotte Fresh reminding you to check my Special Events page so you don’t miss out on local event opportunities. I’ve listed what I have to-date below. Please let me know if there’s anything you’ve heard about that I should include in the ongoing list.
Also, the holidays coming up! If you haven’t already done so, make sure to reserve your sustainably, humanely, locally-raised turkeys, hams, beef roasts and other cuts with your farmers. Turkeys are especially in limited supply (they need a lot of care to raise), and may already be fully-reserved for Thanksgiving – you never know, so make contact now! If you miss out for Thanksgiving, there could still be opportunities for December celebrations. Check last year’s CF post for some farmers to contact for turkeys. And don’t forget apples and pumpkins to make your favorite desserts; get them at your local farmers’ market or go to a pick-your-own orchard. Visit ncapples.com for further details on apple picking in the Blue Ridge. If you don’t bake, reserve your pies and breads with your local bakers. Locally produced cheeses make for great appetizers while entertaining.
- Saturday, October 22, 2011: Cooking on the Farm at Proffitt Family Farms. 3:00-7:30 pm including a farm tour. Another “On the Farm” class with Charlotte Culinary expert, Heidi Billotto. Join Heidi, the Eagans and the Proffitts on their beautiful ranch in King’s Mountain. Four beef dishes and dessert will be prepared and paired with tasting pours of wine to become dinner for the group. Please reserve now – only 20 spots are available. Each class participant will also receive a packet of recipes and the opportunity to shop at the farm store if you would like. Cost is $65. To register, email Heidi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday, October 28, 2011: Harvest Moon Grille at the Dunhill’s “La Lune 1929.” A special evening as they take you back to 1929 (the year the hotel opened) and to France (because they love French food). Enjoy a magnificent seven-course dinner that reflects that period and place. Seating will be limited, so call now for reservations: (704)-342-1193.
- Saturday, October 29, 2011: Cooking On the farm at Bosky Acres. 11:00 am – 3:00 pm. Join Heidi Billotto in this “On the Farm” class – her first at Bosky Acres. Owner and cheesemaker Michelle Lamb will introduce participants to the goats, give a tour of the farm and explain the milking process. Then, settle into the cheese making room for a demonstration on how to make homemade goats’ milk feta. As the cheese making process takes a bit of time, Heidi will fill in the gaps and prepare several dishes using the delicious assortment of Bosky Acres cheese. On the menu: a crusted warm goat cheese salad, a pasta sauced with local herbs and marinated Bosky Acres feta and a goat cheese and mushroom soup. Each course will be paired with a wine served in a tasting size pour. Each class participant will leave with a packet of recipes and a container of fresh made Bosky Acres feta cheese and the opportunity purchase more cheese on the farm. Cost is $65 per person, and spots are limited. To register, email Heidi at email@example.com.
- Thursday, November 3, 2011: “An Evening with Highland Brewery” at Rooster’s Wood-Fired Kitchen. 6:30 pm. Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Asheville, North Carolina, Highland Brewing Company brews the finest and freshest ales in the Southeast. For seventeen years, the brewery has produced an impressive array of ales, from the best-selling Gaelic to their popular winter seasonal, Cold Mountain Ale. Join Rooster’s as they pair Highland brews with Rooster’s fall favorites. $50 per person plus tax and gratuity. Please call for more info and reservations: (704) 366-8688. (Note: Highland is one of CF and Hubby’s favorite NC brewing companies! And no one compensates me to say that.)
- November 11 -13, 2011: Sustainable Ag. Conference at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel near Durham, NC. If you are serious about learning more about sustainable agriculture practices whether you are a producer, chef or consumer, this is the ultimate conference for you! See site for details and registration.